1x 175g Tub JULIENNE BRUNO Crematta™
50g Wholemeal flour
75g Plain flour
25g Caster sugar
¼ Tsp salt
65g Vegan block butter, chilled and chopped into cubes
½ Tsp apple cider vinegar
3 Tsp icing sugar
160g Forced rhubarb stalks
20g Caster sugar (+ 4 tsp extra)
¼ Lemon zest, and squeeze of the juice
- Combine flours and sugar in a mixing bowl or the bowl of a food processor, stir well to combine. Add the chopped butter, then if doing this by hand, cut the butter through the flour until there are no larger bits of butter left. Gently then rub the flour and butter using your fingertips and thumbs until everything is evenly combined. If using a food processor, gently pulse the mixture until the butter is evenly incorporated.
- Add the vinegar and 50g of crematta™ then mix through with a spoon before using your hands to bring the dough together into a ball. Do not knead the dough, just bring it together.
- Weigh the dough, then divide into two even pieces. Gently flatten each piece into a thick disk before wrapping in cling film and chilling in the fridge for around an hour. Mix the remainder of the crematta™ in its pot with the icing sugar, lid, and then place in the freezer.
- Whilst the dough is chilling, make the filling. Wash the rhubarb, trim the ends and then cut 1 inch long pieces on the diagonal. In a bowl, toss the rhubarb with the lemon zest/ juice and sugar. Allow to sit and macerate gently until ready to use.
- Heat your oven to 180c fan, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the pastry from the fridge, unwrap then place on a well floured (second) sheet of parchment paper ready to roll out. Making sure the rolling pin is also floured, gently roll each piece of dough out, one by one, into a rough circle approximately 6 inches in diameter.
- Drain the juices from the rhubarb bowl into a small dish, set aside for later use. Sprinkle 2 tsp of caster sugar over the centre of each pastry disk before then arranging the sliced rhubarb over, ensuring to leave approximately a 1.5 inch border all the way around the edge. Gently fold the pastry over the filling, place onto the baking sheet before lightly glazing with the juices and then finally sprinkling with demerara.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the pastry is golden. Set the baking tray on a wire rack and allow the galettes to cool for at least twenty minutes to half an hour. Remove the crematta™ from the freezer and place in the fridge until ready to serve spooned on top of the galettes.
Evocative memories of childhood desserts spring to mind, fondly remembering Rhubarb & Custard.
This is our take on that classic, and one of our favourite ways to enjoy this vibrant rose pink tinted seasonal treat. Forced rhubarb’s tartness is tempered by the sweetness of sugar, both being perfectly paired with the enveloping nutty undertones of wholemeal in the blanket of crisp pastry before having a generous spoonful of lightly sweetened, set Crematta™ placed on top.
This recipe is easily scaled if you want to make a larger single galette as a centrepiece dessert, simply double up the quantities as you add on additional pairs of people.